Friday, July 27, 2018

"SECURE" Part 7 - Deterrent

I still have this joke that I'm a watered-down version of a mercenary. Random jobs, random sites.

A while after Shannondell, the day I went on a trip to Elmwood Park Zoo with a friend, I worked security detail; it was at this Timberland store at the Philadelphia Premium Outlets. Apparently the boots in the back of the store were a target for some shoplifting problem; some guys coming in with a garbage bag stealing them. It made perfect sense since they were the most expensive.
"All someone has to do to look suspicious is pick up a box." I said to the lady running me through all this stuff. "Just grab a box, look around at that big wall of boots..." Thankfully we didn't get any shoplifters, but according to this SGT and other officer who came by, these trash bag guys had been coming pretty much each week. In fact, I was told by the woman in charge that some people would swap their own shoes for the ones in the box.
"If they weren't the bad guys I'd praise them for their cleverness."
"Yeah that's the problem." she said. "It's their job, pretty much how they make a living."

I was a deterrent there a bunch of times for five hours per day and it wasn't a consistent schedule. Neither was this FedEx place in King of Prussia; I'd have never made it there on my own since the GPS wouldn't take the address.

The FedEx place that went four to midnight was a pretty good one. When I was told there had to be at least two officers holding down the fort, as a rule, I thought 'This is already better than Shannondell's gate duty.' I got to wand people out of the building and check in these big tractor trailers. There were certain numbers on the trucks I'd have to write down on a paper, and the consistency of it would tire me out sometimes. But like I said, it was better than the last gatehouse.
The guy who'd shown me around offered to 'help me out' and take a turn checking drivers in. In fact he did that twice. I didn't want to seem like I was taking advantage of his kindness, but I was tired and freezing so who was I to turn that down?

Doing the FedEx place, plus doing Timberland five hours per day again over the next three days, it felt like a mix between odd jobs and military. "Then it's off to wherever they want me next," I'd say to myself. I just prayed to God I'd get a full-time set-in-stone job soon.

All I could do at Timberland, really, was stand there in uniform and hope it discouraged people from doing anything stupid. And that was for five hours straight with no meal break or permission to sit down.
The FedEx place, at least, gave me room to breathe. At least with another officer or two there, there was a bit of camaraderie. Not as much as at the Twin Valley Fire Dept. but at least I could chat now and again.
My last day working the Timberland store, there actually were a couple different groups of guys that seemed suspicious to me and to the cashier, but after a while it turned out to be nothing. Still, at least it was a good long while of not-boring security detail.

How many odd jobs would I have to do before going full-time?

No comments:

Post a Comment