Tuesday, August 7, 2018

"SECURE" Part 8 - Morphotek

Monday, April 9th.

I was sitting in a corner with a rolling chair and desk, eyes open on both ends of the ninety-degree angle of hallway I was watching. It surrounded a kitchen and cafeteria, while behind me were office/conference rooms. I'd brought my journal and pens, plus snacks in a grocery bag. Right where I sat was by the kitchen so a couple times I seized the chance to use one of the Keurigs to make a mug of coffee.

This site was a pharmaceutical company called Morphotek Inc., where I'd be working for the next two weeks. Of course I was told by my boss here that it was going through changes including the name; Eisai. No idea why, but who am I to judge? I'm no businessman. And I'm not Japanese either.

The security detail was important especially because people worried over a disgruntled former employee. Unfortunately the only photo of the guy was taken ten years ago when he got hired. Anyway, the first day I was able (and expected, actually) to sit down and eat something from my pack in peace. I kept the photo of the former employee to see if I could use the info on it to look for him. Then maybe I'd know what to be on lookout for; if he'd lost weight, shaved his head, stuff like that. I never did find anything, but it kept the gears in my head turning so I wasn't really bored.

"It's a pretty cake job," I was told, though I was also sympathetically warned about my "desolation ultimate." But I told him I didn't mind being in that same spot at all. I figured if he heard me talking that truth for the rest of my time there then maybe I could get put there full-time.

I also, quite a few times over those days, went over to the building across the street and sat behind the desk with this secretary. I got to learn the security camera systems more thoroughly. I asked for that camera part, not my boss. He did, however, tell me to look through the employee handbook in this thick binder. During the time of talking with the secretary and watching the cameras, I read it all through.

Still, sometimes it was tough to avoid dozing off. I was afraid of being asked that stuff so I went for water and coffee throughout the day[s]. Luckily I didn't get 'interrogated' about it, but no way was going to say that I needed the caffeine to make sure I didn't fall asleep. So I spent time thinking of explanations like "I was thirsty and the cameras were still being watched." or "had to use the bathroom after all that water." Perfectly logical.

Being at the monitors felt like a whole other field, mainly since I couldn't talk to myself (it helps me think). But at least since this secretary was already on the job and was free to read a bit of her book now and then, I felt less nervous about having Beowulf with me to take notes on for a script. And of course, I did pay attention for anything weird on the monitors too. I mean, I didn't know anyone's duties of what this place's rules were, so... what? Wait till we get something like a P2 or a couple employees start fighting? So sometimes I think I paid too much attention, if such a thing exists in security work.

Now here's where it got interesting.
I was outside the building with my boss during a cloudy day, having just gotten off the phone with this lady for a full-time spot in Coatesville at a steel mill...

No comments:

Post a Comment