Friday, July 27, 2018

"SECURE" Part 3 - Day in the Life of...

It was pretty common to get calls while on a tour. I remember being on one with this girl who was pointing out where the buttons were (I was always getting mixed up) and we'd gotten a few calls to knock on some residents' doors and help them out. I remember throughout my job, even later on doing tours by myself, responding to such calls. A real common occurrence was the resident being "unreachable," meaning they weren't answering their phones and the caller was concerned. This time, however, this resident's aid (who we were figured was dying or something) was fine in the end. Another call was about trouble with his remote; a Marine vet from 1943. "World War Two, Korea, and Vietnam," he answered when I asked if the brown-and-white picture was of him. I remember shaking his hand and sincerely thanking him for his apparently long time of service.
We got a call like that for two different apartments.

Doing tours on my own took quite a while for me to get used to since just about everything looked the same. We had "L buildings" and "T buildings" as we called them, by the shape. It was so disorienting, making sure I hit all the buttons in the right order, that I had to use the compass on my phone to know where to go. There were times I wouldn't even have the chance to finish a tour. Thank God my boss assured me it'd get easier with practice (instead of getting all in my face about it). It was always a relief when I was able to just do an "L building." Then it was easier to remember which way was North and East or South and West.
I had a folder full of papers, maps of the whole retirement community, and just about anything else I'd need to remember. In a way it was like being in school except just one class. Come to think of it, it was like a commuter boot but without being shouted at.

Question;
Who likes paperwork? Anyone? Show of hands...? No? I didn't think so.
Filling out my initials and full name in I-lost-count-of-how-many different papers was tedious. Any form of paperwork is, which I'm sure any officer (security or police) will tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment